Hello! Thank you for visiting my subject guide. This guide will help you develop a search strategy for finding articles that describe experiments and research studies, and direct you to helpful online databases that provide full-text articles to scholarly journals and magazines.
Live 24/7 Reference Assistance
A reference librarian is available to answer your questions 24/7. Just click on this Ask A Librarian link to get started!
Homework Assignment -- Experimental Design 25 points
We encounter reports of experiments everyday in the popular press. Some of these are well done and some are not. In this mini-project, you are first charged with finding an article that describes an experiment. Then you must analyze the article based on the knowledge you have gained from Chapters 5 and 6 in your textbook.
What you need to do:
1. Choose one article from __________ that describes an experiment:
2. Cite your source using MLA or APA format.
3. Answer the following questions about the experiment:
a. Who administered this experiment?
b. Who were the subjects?
c. How were the subjects recruited?
d. How many subjects participated?
e. What treatment (or treatments) were adminiatered to the subjects?
f. What was the explanatory variable?
g. What was the response variable?
h. Were there any lurking variables/ If so, what were they?
i. Did this experiment have a control group?
4. What information does this experiment provide? Be specific and cite at least 2 facts you learned from this experiment.
5. What type of design was used in this experiment? Was it randomized comparative experiment? Was it double-blind? Were matched-pairs or a block design used?
6. How well do you think the results of this experiment generalize out to a population beyond just the experimental subjects? Are there any obstacles to generalization?
7. Do you think refusals, nonadherers, and/or dropouts were a problem in this experiment? Why or why not?